My Ex Isn’t Paying Alimony in Florida. What Should I Do?

desk with documents

Divorce is an extremely complex legal issue, as it often encompasses far more than simply ending a marriage. For example, when couples get divorced, terms of property distribution, child custody, child support, and alimony often must be decided upon. As you can imagine, these issues are frequently hotly contested. When it comes to alimony, often, one spouse believes he or she is entitled to alimony, while the other spouse doesn’t want to pay. However, once a judge or both spouses determine an agreement, that agreement must be followed. If your former spouse is currently ignoring your alimony agreement, you must read on and reach out to an experienced Pensacola alimony lawyer at our firm to learn more about alimony enforcement in Florida and how we can help.

How do courts in Florida determine who has to pay alimony?

As you may know, Florida courts consider many different factors when determining alimony agreements, including the following:

  • The duration of the marriage
  • The standard of living established over the course of the marriage
  • Each party’s yearly income
  • Each party’s earning capacity
  • The actual need and ability of the parties to pay
  • Financial and non-financial contributions both spouses made to the marriage
  • Each spouse’s age and health
  • Any other factor that the court deems necessary

What should I do if my ex is ignoring our alimony agreement?

In some cases, it is simply best to try and talk matters over with your ex to see if he or she has a reasonable explanation and is willing to correct his or her behavior. However, if you cannot do so for whatever reason or your former spouse is refusing to pay, you should speak with a lawyer who will file a motion for alimony enforcement with the Florida court system. Depending on the circumstances, the court can impose the following against your ex to ensure he or she continues paying alimony:

  • Economic sanctions
  • Arrearages to be paid periodically
  • A driver’s license suspension
  • Community service
  • A warrant for his or her arrest upon further violation of the judgment order

If your former spouse is refusing to make regular alimony payments, our firm is on your side. Speak with our Pensacola family law attorney today.


For decades, the Law Office of James M. Burns has helped countless people through a wide array of legal issues, including those involving criminal law, family law, personal injury law, and will & probate law. If require the assistance of a competent legal team that can effectively guide you through each phase of your legal matter, you’ve come to the right place. Contact the Law Office of James M. Burns today to schedule your initial consultation.