What Are the Most Complex Custody Matters in Florida?

Child custody is one of the most difficult topics of a divorce. Usually, parents differ when it comes to what is best for their children. Also, a divorce can take a major physical and emotional toll on a child. Continue reading and give our firm a call today to discuss your complex custody matter with a skilled Pensacola child custody lawyer. Our legal team is on your side no matter what.

What are examples of complex custody issues?

Relocating Out of State

It is not uncommon for an individual to want to relocate after a divorce. It could be for a new job, to be closer to family, for a fresh start, and more. However, this can be difficult if you share custody with your ex-spouse. If you and your ex share custody, you will have to obtain permission from him or her to move out of state with your child. If your ex does not grant permission, you will need to obtain the permission of a Florida court. When going through court, you will have to demonstrate that the move will be helpful to your child. In this scenario, you will need to have an experienced attorney on your side.

Parental Alienation

Parental alienation is defined as a parent working to turn their child against the other parent. Parental alienation (PA) can be subtle and hard to detect. It may be something as small as a parent taking passive digs at the other parent, or as big as pretending to “save” the child from situations involving the other parent. PA can especially impact a child’s mental health. Also, it can affect the child’s relationship with both parents in significantly negative ways.

International Kidnapping

If your child’s other parent takes your child out of the country without permission, this is referred to as international kidnapping. This is very serious. If your spouse even threatens this behavior, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible.

Establighing Kinship Legal Guardianships

When birth parents in New Jersey are unable to care for their child, it is likely that a relative or friend of the family to petition the courts for appointment as a kinship legal guardian with primary legal custody. This is only if they have been the child’s caretaker for at least 12 months.

Our firm recognizes that custody can be difficult. No matter what kind of custody issues you are facing, our firm is here to help. Give us a call today to get started.


The Law Office of James M. Burns helps people through various legal issues, including those involving criminal law, family law, personal injury law, and will & probate law. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation.