What Not to Do in Child Custody Cases in Florida

When stressed, we’re not apt to make our best decisions and few proceedings are as stressful as child custody cases. If you’re in need of legal guidance during this stressful time, please read on, then contact an experienced Pensacola child custody lawyer to learn more about what not to do in child custody cases in Florida.

What not to do in child custody cases in Florida

First and foremost, you should know that a Florida family court will always do what it views as being in the best interests of the children involved. The court does not concern itself with what is most convenient to either parent. That said, Florida family law tends to reward parents who communicate and cooperate to promote their children’s best interests. Likewise, they tend to fault parents for the following actions in the courtroom:

  • Failure to control one’s emotions
  • Inability to prioritize parental responsibilities
  • Leaving behind damaging text messages, photographs, emails, et cetera
  • Unwillingness to support the other parent

What should I avoid doing in time-sharing custody cases in Florida?

Barring extreme circumstances, your child custody case will never truly end unless and until your children turn 18. In Florida, mistakes or misconduct in time-sharing custody cases can lead to the family court reconsidering your arrangement. Engaging in domestic violence, abusing alcohol or drugs, unilaterally controlling when your former spouse can or cannot see his or her children without justification, moving without the court’s permission and filing false reports with the Department of Children and Families are all sufficient grounds for your child custody arrangement to be renegotiated. It may be difficult working with your former spouse – why else would you have separated from him or her? – but acrimony will damage your standing.

How do you change an unfair child custody arrangement in Florida?

Circumstances change, and Florida family law is designed to compensate for that. Under state law, parties are allowed to petition for the modification of custody. In order for a court to grant such a modification of time-sharing arrangement, you, the petitioning parent, must prove that a substantial, material and unforeseeable change in circumstances has taken place. It can’t be something that the court was already aware of when it made its initial ruling. To ensure your petition for modification of a custody arrangement has the best chance at success, contact a skilled Pensacola family law attorney to discuss the particulars of your case.


For decades, the Law Office of James M. Burns has helped countless people through a wide array of legal issues, including those involving criminal law, family law, personal injury law, and will & probate law. If require the assistance of a competent legal team that can effectively guide you through each phase of your legal matter, you’ve come to the right place. Contact the Law Office of James M. Burns today to schedule your initial consultation.