When You Face A Tough Legal Problem
Don’t Get Burned
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  » Minor In Possession

A Skilled Defense Lawyer Protecting Accused Minors

If you are under the age of 21, drinking any alcoholic beverage or having one in your possession is unlawful. Adults who sell alcohol to those under 21 or allow an underage party at their home can also face criminal charges. Many assume penalties for underage drinking are no big deal. But this is wrong.

The minor in possession laws in Florida are strict. You need to consult a skilled criminal defense lawyer who knows the local courts.

Attorney James M. Burns is based in Pensacola and defends clients across Gulf Coast communities located in Escambia and Baldwin counties. He may be able to obtain a case dismissal or deferred adjudication that avoids a court appearance and keeps the charges off your record. He has almost two decades of criminal law experience and can find the best possible resolution based on your goals.

How Extensive Are The Penalties?

Deterrence is the underlying policy, which means that the maximum penalties will likely surprise you. Here is the breakdown:

  • A first offense is a second-degree misdemeanor with a potential stay in jail up to 60 days and a fine of $i500.
  • A second offense converts the charge to a first-degree misdemeanor, which carries up a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.
  • Being caught with a fake ID is even more serious and could result in a felony charge

Driver’s license suspension is another consequence that can range from six month to two years. Learn whether and how you might be able to limit the damage or clear your criminal record of a prior conviction.

Call The Law Office Of James M. Burns

Were you or your child arrested or given a Notice To Appear after partying on the beach or at a friend’s home? We cannot stress enough the importance of fast action. Frequently, there are options available to minimize the penalties.

Schedule a free initial consultation with attorney James M. Burns by calling 850-930-3018. Appointments are available to fit your needs and can also be requested by email as well.