When You Face A Tough Legal Problem
Don’t Get Burned
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  » Probation Violations

Protecting Your Probation Status

If you are accused of violating probation in Florida or Alabama, you probably realize that your freedom is in serious jeopardy. Once you are in the criminal justice system, a single, seemingly minor mistake – your own or one made by a probation officer – can result in harsh prosecution for the original offense.

Fighting For Your Rights And Your Future

A call to Pensacola-based criminal defense attorney James M. Burns is the right call if you are accused of a probation violation. He will consider every viable defense, whether or not he represented you in the past. In fact, Mr. Burns often receives referrals from other lawyers and previous clients.

Consequences Of A Probation Violation In Florida Or Alabama

If you were sentenced to probation for a crime in Florida or Alabama, it is crucial to understand that:

  • Judges who grant probation do not hesitate to enforce a jail sentence when an offender is alleged to have violated his or her probation terms.
  • The prosecution’s burden of proof for a probation violation is lower than for your original criminal offense. Essentially, “beyond a reasonable doubt” does not apply.
  • Your lawyer’s relevant experience with probation violation cases matters greatly, and you should hire one with a solid reputation in area courts such as James M. Burns.

Mr. Burns genuinely cares what happens in your case. If there is a way to prove that no violation actually occurred, he will go all out to find it. If explaining circumstances surrounding what happened may sway the judge in your case, he will do so succinctly and in a compelling fashion.

You Have Too Much To Lose If You Don’t Hire A Lawyer

Have you been informed that you failed a drug test or tested positive for alcohol? One “dirty urine analysis” is enough to get you jail or prison time, as are a range of other probation violations, including:

  • Missing a meeting or treatment session
  • Failure to pay a fine
  • A new criminal charge, no matter how minor
  • A claim that you traveled outside your limits without your probation officer’s authorization

In any such situation, you need an attorney who will investigate and challenge these allegations aggressively, seeking the best possible outcome for you. To schedule your free initial consultation on a probation matter or any other criminal law concerns, contact attorney James M. Burns as soon as possible by calling 850-930-3018, or you may send an email.