There are few things worse than being convicted of a crime. No matter where you live, a criminal conviction can haunt you for years into the future. If you were recently charged with a crime, you need an experienced Escambia County criminal defense lawyer who can fight your charges to help ensure you never receive a criminal record. If you were convicted of a crime years ago, you may have an option to clear or expunge your record. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced firm to learn more about the long-term consequences of a criminal record and how we can help you through each step of the legal process ahead.
Long-Term Consequences of a Criminal Record
If you are convicted of a crime, you will develop a criminal record, on top of all the immediate penalties you will face, such as incarceration and high fines. A criminal record can permanently impact the quality of your life. Just some of the potential long-term consequences of having a criminal record are as follows:
- You will find it harder to get a job.
- You may not be allowed to rent certain places to live.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, a criminal record may warrant your deportation.
- If you were convicted of a DUI of any sort, you may lose your driver’s license.
- If you are a convicted sex offender, the general public will know who you are and what you did, among other things. They may also be notified when you move into their area.
- It may be more challenging to receive certain loans.
- If you are convicted of another crime in the future, you will most likely face harsher penalties.
As you can see, the ramifications for having a criminal record are harsh, however, in many cases (but depending on the crime you committed) you may be eligible to have your record cleared or expunged. For example, many low-level offenses are eligible for expungement or being sealed. If you have any further questions, or you believe that you may be entitled to have your record cleared, please do not hesitate to speak with our competent legal team today. We are here to protect your future, and we will be, every step of the way.
Contact Our Experienced Pensacola Firm
For decades, the Law Office of James M. Burns has helped countless people through a wide array of legal issues, including those involving criminal law, family law, personal injury law, and will & probate law. If require the assistance of a competent legal team that can effectively guide you through each phase of your legal matter, you’ve come to the right place. Contact the Law Office of James M. Burns today to schedule your initial consultation.